We are happy to note that the HANA Pins have arrived. According to Treasurer Theresia they "look nice and I give them a thumbs up." This is a good recommendation as unlike most of the HANA board members who look like stereotypical horseplayers, she dresses nice and worries about these things. We have received some orders already and they will be shipped out. For those who have not ordered and want one, please donate at least $20 to this Paypal link and we will send out one. Or alternatively, you can email us letting us know you want one and send a check to the address provided at the above link (again minimum $20). Thanks to everyone!
Further, for those who did not read last week our very first HANA Day at the Races is at Keeneland on April 18th. For the HANA members who enjoy handicapping contests (and have the bankroll to join these things) there is one scheduled at Keeneland for April 19th. There are only 30 spots available. We know several of our members are serious about this kind of play so in case they have not heard, there you go! It caps off an exciting weekend. We will be pulling for a HANA member to win this thing, so you will have a cheering section.
Keeneland Schedules "Live Money"Handicapping Contest
On Sunday, April 19, Keeneland will host the "Grade One Gamble," a live money handicapping contest that will send three people to the 2010 DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championship in Las Vegas.
* $3,000 entry fee and live bankroll must be paid in advance, with one entry per person - no partner entries. (Contest entry: $1,200 - Live bankroll: $1,800) The Grade One Gamble is limited to 30 players. (An "also-eligible" list of six players will be posted in the event of no-shows.)
* Registration will be held on a "first come, first served," basis, by phone, through Karen King (859) 288-4260, beginning March 2, 2009 at 10:00 a.m. (ET) and ending on March 27, 2009 at 4:00 p.m. (ET) unless "sold out" by that date.
* Payment must be made in full, within seven days of entry, by Visa, Master Card, American Express or check.
* The first three finishers will receive a berth in the 2010 DRF/NTRA National Handicapping Championship (including airfare, hotel and expenses) with an additional $15,000 for first, $8,000 to second, $4000 to third, $2,000 to fourth, $1,500 to fifth and $1,000 to sixth. Players keep the balance of their live bankroll.
* If a top three finisher is already qualified for the National Handicapping Championship, the berth will go to the next-highest finisher, with no further compensation to those already qualified.
* Contestants must be at least 21 years old by December 31, 2009.